Introduction to Containers and Amazon EKS
Many organizations are turning to containers to build their next generation of modern applications, or to modernize existing applications to lower costs, reduce image sprawl, and meet organizational scaling requirements. Join us to learn the how and why behind Containers and Amazon EKS. This Immersion Day will begin with a high level introduction to containers and Docker, followed by an introduction to Amazon ECR. After introductions, the AWS and Innovative teams will lead attendees through hands on labs for deploying into an EKS cluster. The Immersion Day will also review funding programs that are offered by AWS and Innovative to assist organizations with their deployments into AWS.
- 9:00 - 9:05
- Containers Immersion Day Introduction
- 9:05 - 9:25
- Introduction to containers and Docker
- In this module, attendees will learn why many organizations are turning to containers to build their next generation of modern applications.
- 9:25 - 9:55
- Introduction to Amazon ECR
- In this module, attendees will learn what Amazon ECR is, how Amazon ECR Lifecycle Policies work to lower costs and reduce image sprawl, how to configure and test rules for automated image cleanup and best practices for getting started using Lifecycle Policies today.
- 9:45 - 9:55
- 9:55 - 10:10
- Containers Immersion Day Workshop Setup
- 10:10 - 10:25
- Introduction to Containers and Docker
- In this lab, attendees will get hands on with the Docker command line tool and get familiar with its functionality.
- 10:25 - 11:10
- Containerizing the Mythical Mysfits monolith (Lab)
- In this first lab, attendees are going to take the first step in modernizing the Mythical Mysfits stack, by containerizing the monolith application that is currently used for all the things. From there, attendees are going to push the container image in to an image repository hosted in Amazon ECR.
- 11:10 - 11:25
- 11:25 - 12:10
- Introduction to Amazon EKS
- In this module, attendees will learn how Amazon EKS makes deploying Kubernetes on AWS simple and scalable, including networking, security, monitoring, and logging.
- 12:10 - 12:15
- 12:15 - 12:45
- Deploying the monolith (Lab)
- In this lab, attendees will deploy the Mysfits monolith to their EKS cluster and expose the monolith as a load balanced Kubernetes service.
- 12:45 - 12:55
- Conclusion and Next Steps